Sunday 31 August 2014

You can't take the sky from me...

I've been a bit distracted from my pulp project by a certain space western that had an unfortunate case of Kurt Cobain syndrome...

Pulp Alley is a very flexible ruleset and I can see it fitting the firefly universe perfectly, so buckle in for some thrillin' heroics as I run through the first few characters I've painted up from the show. 

Mal and Jayne bite off more than they can chew as they go head to head with a heavily armed squad of Alliance Feds.

Malcolm Reynolds. Browncoat, captain and all round goddam hero. 
From Heresy,  not a bad sculpt but a bit of  shock after all the Copplestone and Hasslefree I've been panting recently. Its Malish but not a dead ringer and the boots for example are a bit crude. 

I went for colours reminiscent to those in the show but adapted for the scale.

Jayne Cobb. Foul mouthed mercenary looking for his cut. (Reaper)

Again, not the greatest sculpt in the world -  the face is pretty basic. But, then again, it exists, so yay!

The shirt is meant to say 'blue sun' as in the blue sun corporation but I think the e turned out looking more like an r. So, ironically, now its 'blur sun'! Not quite sure what happened to Jane's eyes either...
Alliance Feds aka 'Purple bellies'. The first 5. These are from Rebel minis (who I think has bought certain rights from Mongoose). As Firefly fans will know, the Alliance feds from the series used left over gear from the Starship Troopers movie. 

The sculpts are a little basic and a bit vague in places, especially the faces. I painted these using a different approach to usual (as they are goons I was less bothered that about them being neat) so used lots of drybrushing and a very limited palette to speed things up. 

Close-up of some of the little bits of detail I bothered to do on the feds. The upside to this approach is that these 5 took me about 3 hours, which is very fast for me. 
Mal posing in front of my new Battlesystems card terrain.  Should get some good use out of this to represent salvage missions, boarding actions etc. Looking forward to popping it all out at some point. 


The smell of cordite hangs heavy in the air. 'Get on the horn and call for reinforcements!'


I've become pretty fascinated by the new ruleset from Ivan Sorenson (five parsecs from home) which merges miniatures wargame and RPG. I'm not a huge fan of the 5 core system the supplement builds on, it looks a bit basic and the lack of stat lines is a big turn-off, but I really want to do some kind of mash-up of pulp alley, 5 parsecs, the firefly boardgame and then mix in RPG elements... just need to find the time to write it...

On the plus side my boardgame group just progressed to RPGs (first game of D&D last week -  which we thoroughly enjoyed) so I may be able to tempt them with the Firefly RPG in time.

Well, until next time - I'll be in my bunk.

5 comments:

  1. Cheers, the Five Parsec author here :)

    FiveCore might surprise you when you give it a swirl, but I know at least two gamers who just use the Five Parsecs campaign stuff with different skirmish rules, with fairly minimal trouble from what I've understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I need to give the rules a go before I pre-judge them, but I do really love pulp alley... Your system looks really adaptable so can't wait to make a few tweaks and take it for a spin the Verse. You've come up with something that a lot of gamers wanted but couldn't quite put their finger on... bravo!

      Delete
    2. I'm not familiar with pulp alley but I imagine you shouldn't have a ton of problems meshing the two together :)

      And your second comment is exactly why I wrote the game: There was something out there that existing games didn't /quite/ cover.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff! Looking forwards to the rest of the crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on the paint desk now. Zoe has started to get highlights...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...